[FRIAM] A* and emulatoin

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 27 14:30:05 EDT 2022

I accept your problems with "synthetic" as described and agree that
cobbled or mashed up has a more promising connotation than constructed
or designed or fabricated.  It has been a *long* time since I thought
about that (faulty) dichotomy.   The morality/ethics is also awkward for
me...  I suppose it isn't as much about individual/group as
organic/engineered.

Since I've been reading Charlton *on Bateson* I am very reminded how
Bateson's seemly ideosyncratic language used to really put me off, but
now I feel more he was likely working in the interstices of meaning
between/among the conventional uses and landed on one bit of lexicon or
other awkwardly at least in part because the conventional use *was* off
in some way (or in it's precision it was naturally *wrong*?).   I'm
still struggling/fumbling with it.