[FRIAM] war footing

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:26:05 EST 2022

This video brings home, to me, the inherent conflict with "do what it takes to ...":

I'm Russian I want the rest of the world to hear me out
https://youtu.be/FUE40mkEYeo

Even though I'm worried she's a plant, she makes the valid point that things like sanctions don't hurt the ultra wealthy. And in a country where the elections really are rigged (or you're young enough to have had no way to intervene before the gravity well became inescapable), what does it mean to "do what it takes to ..."? The last number I heard was Russian authorities arrested 2700 protesters. And given guys like Magomed Tushayev <https://www.jpost.com/international/article-699032>, the gods only know what else has happened.

I mean, I felt pretty impotent with Trump as President. And I'm a relatively well-off white male in a relatively trustworthy democracy. What hope do those fed up with Putin and his government have? Only the hopes of coming years, if not decades of poverty, protesting, and bearing the risk of dying in jail or at the hands of a Tushayev?

--
glen
When elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers.