[FRIAM] human side of the Ukraine crisis

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Mar 16 13:16:58 EDT 2022

Mary's nephew's "charge", Vlada made it to Warsaw most of a week ago
from a small farm east of Kiev.   She has established a network of
support and (new) friends among the refugees there. The goFundMe cash
they gathered was very helpful to this effort and being crowdsourced,
the load was shared among hundreds of friends/family.  I think the
average donation was under $30.

Mary's nephew's wife just gave birth (this morning) to their second
child which is what prevented the nephew (early 30s) from traveling to
Poland to help Vlada directly over the last few weeks.   In the
meantime, the upside-down refugee admissions to the US (refugees from
Europe capped at 10,000 while 30,000 Ukrainians *already* in the US have
claimed (and been granted by exec order?) refugee status.   According to
an immigration lawyer they have retained, Vlada can likely still enter
the US under a student visa.   The family is ready to effectively adopt
her (as a young adult) but her heart is *in* Ukraine and will likely
return.   I understand she has no immediate family in Ukraine to rely on
(or worry about), but she does have a more extended family there.

As someone who has become a "bleeding heart liberal" over decades of
(not so) hard knocks, I fully support this type of immigration or more
likely temporary refuge (years?) for anyone around the world.  When
anyone is willing to "host" someone from another part of the world,
including taking financial responsibility for them, it seems
unconscionable not to allow that.   In this case, Europe, especially
Poland and the other eastern EU countries bounding Ukraine is carrying
the load and being able to release some of that pressure, even one
individual at a time would seem like a boon to them as well.

Of course, there is all the (not unfounded) rhetoric about how cold our
shoulders are to those from other countries where the people don't
remind us of ourselves as much.  I understand some of both sides.  It
seems a shame that we treat refugees from violence and poverty in
Central America as a nasty, dangerous "horde" while we welcome these
pink-faced, blonde haired people wearing designer label clothing.  And
yet, I also understand why those who have been infected with fear and
mistrust of "the other" would have this bias as well.

As I think we have discussed hear in great detail, Xenophobia is an
organic response in individual/group survival.   But that neurochemical
response of "it's diffr'nt, killit!" might should be something we can in
fact overrule consciously and culturally.  The (relative) welcoming that
EU has given to middle-Eastern and north African refugees is a positive
example.   I am surrounded by many individual positive examples in my
life, but the Fox/Trump News message about Caravans of Rapists and
Murderers still bleeds through and exhibits itself in folks mostly 2
degrees of separation from me.   None of those have I heard squealing in
horror at supporting Ukranian refugees, however.