[FRIAM] human side of the Ukraine crisis

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Mar 16 16:18:25 EDT 2022

< Of course, there is all the (not unfounded) rhetoric about how cold our shoulders are to those from other countries where the people don't remind us of ourselves as much.  I understand some of both sides.  It seems a shame that we treat refugees from violence and poverty in Central America as a nasty, dangerous "horde" while we welcome these pink-faced, blonde haired people wearing designer label clothing.  And yet, I also understand why those who have been infected with fear and mistrust of "the other" would have this bias as well. >

For the most direct comparison, there's this..

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-russia-strikes/four-fifths-of-russias-syria-strikes-dont-target-islamic-state-reuters-analysis-idUSKCN0SF24L20151021

Supposing that distribution has some significance and is reflected in the refugee population, would one go to a party that has only 20% of the people with COVID?   I think there is some understandable discomfort here.  It may be related to xenophobia or racism but is more than that.   I'm reminded of a taxi driver I had going from the Albuquerque airport to Santa Fe.   He talked about the status of the West Bank for the whole trip even though I did not show much interest.    It seemed like an advocacy topic that was front-and-center for him.   Having someone like that around all the time could feel like having an abused dog that might at any time get startled and bite you.

Marcus