[FRIAM] books by cheng and chang

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Nov 2 17:52:43 EDT 2022

On 11/2/22 9:43 AM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
> Thanks, Glen.
>
> It would be nice if there were a public bibliographic reference url
> that one could use to name a book that only conveyed the thing in
> itself.  Goodreads was that once, then Amazon bought them.  Ditto for
> video and audio recordings and other objects of public interest.

I admit to continuing to use Goodreads this way in spite of two
problems... the Amazon affiliation/ownership of course, but also the too
often spotty reviews...  I don't provide many nor particularly good
reviews myself, so I've no room to complain really.

So I suppose I agree with your "public bibliographic reference url"
point.   It seems as if Wikipedia is a good candidate but I haven't done
the work to understand how new entries are made... are they always
required to be made by a citizen of the community who is NOT affiliated
with the book (publisher, author, etc)? I find a *lot* of the books I
seek in Wikipedia and prefer them for reference when their
book-description (and cross links to related works, author, etc) are
particularly apt, but that is also spotty.   I use Goodreads mostly to
follow what family/friends are reading and what *they* think of their reads.

The trend toward crowd-sourced public-use corpii being acquired by
private interests (even public corporations are private interests) is
disturbing (FB <-Mapillary, Amazon<-Goodreads)...   Twitter->BoringCo, etc)

> Eugenia Cheng has other books and a pile of youtube videos.
> Interestingly, her primary institutional affiliation is the Art
> Institute of Chicago, where as resident scientist she teaches math to
> art students.  She has a public reading for kids scheduled in Jersey
> City this month.  Her definition of category theory is "the
> mathematics of mathematics" which she expands as "the logical study of
> the logical study of logical things."
>
> Hasok Chang has a third book, Is Water H2O, which Amazon fails to
> index on his amazon author page, though it is on amazon at a
> blistering price in every available format.  I found a pdf on the
> internets.  It's details the history of working out the chemical
> identity of water. Two themes are that 1) the consensus answers to
> scientific questions often change in anticipation of the arrival of
> corroboration, 2) there are often multiple acceptable answers to
> scientific questions.  These are possibly consequences of being a
> realisitic realist.

Interesting set of recursions...  we CS types tend to love our
arbitrary-depth recursion, but the special cases like double-negatives,
and Rummy's unkown unknowns and now Chang's logical logicologoy of
logics and realistic realists are ... *special*?  While some may prefer
"turtles all the way down" sometimes just a few turtles deep suffices?

- Steve

PS... couldn't help hearing/reading "Cheech&Chong" on the first reading
of this thread.