[FRIAM] Zoom Friam

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Oct 14 17:45:32 EDT 2022

Merle -

THE Ralph Abraham
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Abraham_(mathematician)>?  Or the
OTHER Ralph Abraham
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Abraham_(politician)>?  Or Yet
Another... ?

The Trialogues
<https://www.sheldrake.org/videos/trialogues-at-the-edge-of-the-millennium>
comes to mind...  I didn't realize how young McKenna was when he passed
just a few years later.  I still can't get past most of Sheldrake's
hyperbolic-woo-pseudoscientific framing, and do wonder at how Abraham
sorts all that out internally.   It isn't surprising to find a pure
Maths guy engaged in very mystical thinking, no fundamental
contradictions required I don't think.

I don't think I've ever met Ralph and I could never quite suss out how
much influence he had directly (certainly indirectly?) on
Shaw/Farmer/Packard/Crutchfield's "Chaos Cabal"...   Does anyone know
how to find Julia Landau's strange documentary tangenting "Strange
Attractors <https://vimeo.com/129239092>"? Gleick's book
<https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.4822680> was the first time
I realized that Doyne and Norm came from Silver City, and then I
discovered that my sister with to Kindergarten with Norm's brother
Vance...   Rob used to hang out at SFx from time to time and his brother
Chris would drop through and talk about his Haptek-sponsored
"chatterbot"/avatar/PeoplePutty work:
https://aidreams.co.uk/forum/haptek/chris-shaw-talk-at-chatbots-3-2/
which was pretty advanced, considering what we are getting excited about
with deepfakes/AI-art these days.   I knew Haptek when it formed
originally to develop haptic hardware interfaces for VR a decade earlier...

Regarding your original opening question.   I was a little late to the
Jan6 livestream and was reminded of how much being in *perfect* sync
with realtime events isn't that important, especially if I can ignore
the fact that anyone in-sync is 30 minutes ahead of me....  like TiVO, I
forget that by being behind, I can fast-forward through the dull-parts
if I want!

The production quality of the event and the whole series has been
categorically high, IMO.  To the extent this is really about *crafting a
narrative* more than the *investigation* it is labeled, I continue to be
frustrated.  Not specifically with the Dems or this committee, or
Congress, etc.. but the way we do collective narrative
creation/discovery, etc.    Trump's entire "Big Steal" and "Fake News"
narrative is an example, but then this becomes at best a (semi?)
righteous counter-narrative.  Makes me reflect (without following) back
on Glen's references to Strawson's "Against Narrativity"
<https://lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/against_narrativity.pdf>.

I particularly liked Beau (of the Fifth Column)'s analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xUOBheiJU