[FRIAM] AI possibilities

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Apr 6 10:27:49 EDT 2023

I have been reading Jeff Hawkins' _1000 Brains_ which is roughly *his*
take on AI from the perspective of the Neuroscience *he* has been doing
for a few decades, including building models of the neocortex.

What struck me strongly was how much *I* expect anything I'd want to
call artificial *consciousness* to engage in "co-munnication" in the
strongest sense.  Glen regularly admonishes us that "communication" may
be an illusion and something we don't actually *do* or maybe more to the
the point "it doesn't mean what we think it means"?

So for all the parlor tricks I've enjoyed playing with chatGPT and
DALL-E and maybe even more spectacularly the myriad examples *others*
have teased out of those systems, I am always looking for what sort of
"internal state" these systems are exposing to me in their
"utterances".   And by extension, I am looking to see if it is in any
way apprehending *me* through my questions and prompts.

Dialog with chatGPT feels pretty familiar to me, as if I'm conversing
with an unusually polite and cooperative polymath.   It is freeing to
feel I can ask "it" any question which I can formulate and can expect
back a pretty *straight* answer if not always one I was hoping for.
"It" seems pretty insightful and usually picks up on the nuances of my
questions.   As often as not, I need to follow up with refined questions
which channel the answers away from the "mundane or obvious" but when I
do, it rarely misses a trick or is evasive or harps on something from
it's own (apparent) agenda.  It only does that when I ask it questions
about it's own nature, formulation, domain and then it just seems
blunted as if it has a lawyer or politician intercepting some of those
questions and answering them for it.

I have learned to "frame" my questions by first asking it to defer it's
response until I've given it some ... "framing" for the actual
question.   Otherwise I go through the other series of steps where I
have to re-ask the same question with more and more context or ask a
very long and convoluted question.  At first it was a pleasure to be
able to unlimber my convoluted-question-generator and have it (not mis)
understand me and even not seem to "miss a trick".   As I learned to
generate several framing statements before asking my question, I have
found that I *can* give it too many constraints (apparently) such that
it respects some/most of my framing but then avoids or ignores other
parts.  At that point I have to ask follow-up, elaborating,
contextualizing questions.

I do not yet feel like I am actually seeing into chatGPT's soul or in
any way being seen by it.   That will be for a future generation I
suspect.   Otherwise it is one hella "research assistant" and "spitball
partner" on most any topic I've considered that isn't too contemporary
(training set ended 2021?).

- Steve