[FRIAM] AI possibilities

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Thu Apr 6 01:15:20 EDT 2023

Yes, if a large language model is trained on all works of Mozart and contemporary artists like Haydn, it should be able to create a new piece of music which sounds almost like Mozart. Finally we can listen to Mozart's lost 28th piano concerto or Beethoven's missing 33th piano sonata o_O-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Prof David West <profwest at fastmail.fm> Date: 4/5/23  1:55 AM  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: [FRIAM] AI possibilities Based on the flood of stories about ChatAI, it appears:  - they can 'do' math and 'reason' scientificdally  - they can generate essays, term papers, etc.  - they can engage in convincing dialog/conversations    - as "therapists"    - as "girlfriends" (I haven't seen any stories about women falling in love with their AI)    - as kinksters  - they can write codeThe writing code ability immediately made me wonder if, given a database of music instead of text, they could write music?The dialog /conversation ability makes me wonder about more real-time collaborative interaction, improv acting / comedy? Or, pair programming? The real-time aspect is critical to my question, as I believe there is something qualitatively different between two people doing improv or pair programming than simply engaging in dialog. I think I could make a much stronger argument in the case of improv music, especially jazz, but AIs aren't doing that yet.davew-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservFridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriamto (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comFRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/