[FRIAM] Does Dusty Love Dave, and VV.

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 17 16:49:42 EDT 2024

> Dusty is conscious of Dusty. One reason: I give Jackson (my other dog) a treat and observe body language and facial expressions exhibited by Dusty that I interpret as, "where's mine?" This indicates to me some kind of Dusty self-awareness/consciousness of self.

**Could you say more about the body language and  facial expressions.  Imagine that I am going to take  care of your two dogs for a weekend;  what would you tell me to look for?**

the above is the quote from me email to the list the bold-italic is your request. around the 15th of July.

Dusty and Jackson have their own idiosyncratic (notice the attribution of a self-aware consciousness in that word) way of asking for / obtaining what they want.

Dusty's way is silent, Jackson's almost always involves a gentle-bark/yip. E.g., Dusty wants a head rub so she comes over and places her chin on my knee and looks soulful. Jackson sits close to my knee, establishes eye contact and vocalizes his request.

Both come to my bed at the earliest sign of sunrise (around 5:30 these days) and stare at me. Jackson will eventually vocalize and I get up. Dusty has observed this, daily, for the past N-months but has never been tempted to vocalize herself.

if she ever does vocalize, even by accident, I will immediately rise and see if she learns the stimulus-response pattern.

I may be seeing nothing more than early training. Dusty's previous owners demanded that she be seen and not heard, and to wait, indefinitely, for explicit invitations. I have no idea about Jackson's early training.

davew