[FRIAM] Self-Consciousness, experience and metaphysics

Nicholas Thompson thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:55:08 EDT 2024

Glen and DaveW and all,

Ok, so I have cc'd in the last correspondence that occurred just before our
discussion about who and what is conscious [ness} got forked up. That
included comments from DaveW,and Glen.  Again, thank you, for helping me
along here.

I now see that we need some sort of a working distinction between
experiences and anecdotes.  Try this: An experience is something that
happens (to you).  An anecdote is the telling of a series of experiences
such that some principle has been established, if only inexplicitly, when
the anecdote is done.  So David, in his last post, is telling anecdotes and
Glen is citing experiences, for a first approximation.  This is interesting
to me because the line between citing an experience and telling an anecdote
seems so tenuous.  Intuitively, I want glen to put those experiences in a
broader context so I can see why, for him, they indicate self
consciousness  -- make them more like anecdotes, Glen! Intuitively, I want
Dave to anchor his anecdotes in some  experiences.   More ethology of
dragons, and less oneness with the Universe!  I think this latter intuition
may be based on a distrust of experiences generated the mysteries of
grammar.  One can say, but one cannot experience having been married to a
bachelor; one can say, but not experience the sound of one hand clapping;
one can say, but not experience, the experience of not having experiences.
To the extent that meditation involves the pushing away of experiences, I
am suspicious of it.

Please see larding below: