[FRIAM] Self-Consciousness, experience and metaphysics

Nicholas Thompson thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 12:25:12 EDT 2024

Not at all clear to me why we keep returning to BRAINS in a discussion of
EXPERIENCE or BEHAVIOR.  Experience and behavior remain the same and and
their organization needs to be described, no matter how they are
manufactured.   As Professor Joan Collins Famously Said:

*We've looked at brains from both sides now*
*From in- and out- and still, some how,*

*It's brains illusions we recall, *

*We really don't know brains, at all.*

 In brain talk, there is a history of introjecting brain structure or
process from behavioral or experiential regularities,and then coming back
in the next sentence to explain those regularities as physiologically
determined.  Why indulge in careful description of complex processes when a
little circular reasoning is so satisfying.

--
Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology