[FRIAM] Writing and Civilization and AI, oh my!

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 13:18:28 EDT 2024

Similarly, but a bit larger in scope, humans (and other animals) are merely small parts of a larger system. The extent to which any one person actually knows anything (much less is wise about anything) is negligible, on the same order as that which a chimpanzee knows or is wise about something. What's *valuable*, worth preserving, are the cooperatively constructed and kneaded stigmergic cultural artifacts.

But unlike Plato's straw man, suggesting the artifacts are somehow fixed and repetitive, what's interesting about them is a) their re-interpretation through successive generations and b) the derivations spawned from them. Decay and derivation are more informative than preservation. No single artifact (including flora and fauna, knowledge or wisdom) matters. What matters is the milieu, co-mediated by artifacts like math and painting.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ