[FRIAM] Clocks

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Jul 28 15:04:42 EDT 2024

Jon -

Great and timely framing of the meta-question.

I've been reading David Abram's "Becoming Animal" which among many other
things draws clear attention to the myriad ways that every organism is
defined not just "socially" or even "nutriently" by it's complex
embedding in an ecosystem or something more robust in it's implications...

Clocks, IMO are such a good symbol of "engineering" much the way I feel
that the "Lever" is a good standin for all technology?

Switching from nouns (clocks) to verbs (coupled resonance?) maybe throws
a new light on the question.

- Steve

PS.  There are a handful of folks here I'd recommend Abram to. Spell of
the Sensous - circa 1995 and Becoming Animal - 2007ish ...
reminiscent of Glen's various points about how deeply/implicitly
interconnected everything is (or that we default to reductionism to a
fault?) and DaveW's general East/West Rational/Mystic dualities and
perhaps SGs catholic/Catholic Immanence/Transcendence?  For those who
don't read, there is an audiobook version.