[FRIAM] Clocks

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 15:35:30 EDT 2024

Marcus,

Not bad first steps. It knows how to describe the construction of a clock
(an atomic beam, recognition of electron states, etc...), now for it to
complete the task. What additional steps would I need to prompt, write,
describe, etc... for it to find examples not already in the convex hull of
its training? What about the reliability condition? Once it has its atomic
clock "in hand", how do I set it loose to discover additional reliable
clocks? What I liked most about your (transduction?) post on qualia is the
emphasis on doings free from natural language.

Steve,

I thought about the coupled resonances angle, which to some extent got me
wondering whether the machine would need to have/be a reliable time-keeping
mechanism itself. Also, the lever. I was curious if this was too low
hanging? People often joke that if you know you have a hammer then
everything is a nail, but what if you need a hammer? It seems like I might
be able to generate (via genetic algorithm or something?) an endless unit
test file, but I suspect that the tests would quickly become inconsistent.

Anyone,

One thing I am finding interesting about polycomputing is the lack of
original intent an organ, process or artifact needs to have for another
agent to find any use in that organ, process or artifact. Exaptation seems
related to function seeking behavior, of course it also need not be.