[FRIAM] Unpleasant dreams

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jun 4 12:24:40 EDT 2024

<glen sed> 'I might restate Rvonsuo as "dreams help us find the nooks
and crannies in the hull of constraints presented to us by reality - the
edge cases'

    This aligns with my experiences, observations, mildly founded
    beliefs.   Game theory experts here might be able to add something
    about the asymmetries of positive/negative reward dynamics to
    explain why maybe the negative rewards might dominate in our
    experiences or at least our decisions about relating them?

    My pets (currently a young dog and cat, each about 2 years old)
    spend a lot of time sleeping (or resting aggressively/convincingly?)
    and at least some of it in apparent dream states...   the dog more
    (obviously) than the cat.   From the vigor of his faux running and
    barking (and sometimes whimpering) his dreams seem like they are
    reflections of his waking life which involves no small amount of
    running and posturing aggressively (he is small)...  and some barking.

<just-so hypothesis>

    As the product of thousands? of generations of selective breeding,
    one might imagine that any recent evolutionary pressure to survive
    in a harsh environment (Kristi Noem's kennel as a notable exception)
    has been very mellow and replaced by a pressure to please their
    primate familiars... particularly by being cute but also by being
    useful.   The (excessive?) barking in wake and sleep my dog engages
    in seems to be performative to remind me that he is, if nothing
    else, a hair-trigger alarm system.   My bigger dogs have rarely
    barked aggressively outside the context of a clear and present
    threat.   Small ones (at least this 20 pounder of mine) seem to
    recognize that they aren't quite as useful in other ways (couldn't
    retrieve anything bigger than a robin or pull anything heavier than
    small tricycle or bite through any appendage larger than a small
    finger).   He is a good footwarmer, but I'd be asking for a 6 dog
    night if I was depending on him for that kind of contribution.

</just-so>