[FRIAM] Unpleasant dreams

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jun 4 12:03:03 EDT 2024

<anecdotal report>

    my dream life has been pretty elaborate from time to time and most
    of it is not particularly unpleasant, but when I have had unpleasant
    dreams they roughly fall into two categories:   1) worrying the
    future; 2) worrying the past.

    Mine are biased toward "frustration" over "fear".  I'm rarely being
    chased or at risk of falling off a cliff, but more likely trying to
    find something or solve a problem or manipulate a complex set of
    objects which are uncooperative.

    Reports from my friends and acquaintances tend to revolve around
    negative dreams and it feels as if that are the ones they find
    worthy of reporting or perhaps of those more likely to remember?

</anecdote>

my casual interest in the research around dreaming has lead me to
believe that the two main functions of (human) dreams are: A) sort
through and untangle (groom?) ambiguities that build up in our waking
lives; B) practice a wide range of skills and ideations in a "safe"
context.   Like a great deal of scientific studies, it is the unexpected
and extravagant which bubbles up into the popular science press and then
goes through another distillation as it gets rendered into doom-scroll
newsfeed lists...

Revonsuo's hypothesis is a specific example of B)?

It is worth noting that virtually all animals suffer badly if they are
deprived of sleep and in most? cases if they are deprived of
"dreaming"?  Seems pretty deep in the function of neurobiology maybe
especially vertebrate and definitely mammalian?   Seems like Cetaceans
(some? all?) do alternative lateral sleep/dreaming?

Not sure about Jellyfish... they seem to be dreaming all the time?