[FRIAM] new directions at the michael levin lab

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 17 15:35:24 EDT 2024

I'm loving the fact of the recent news around what might be the first
computer game?

    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/06/retired-engineer-discovers-55-year-old-bug-in-lunar-lander-computer-game-code/

I don't know how the backwater HS I went to (Douglas AZ) in the early
70s acquired a PDP-8 but the (Chemistry) teacher who ran the Basic
programming labs used the original Teletype version of Lunar Lander as
an example of the potential.   I was building Popular Electronics
prescribed video-signal injectors to add Chiron text to a standard
(NTSC) video signal and working at an AM radio station which had an
entirely relay/mechanical based "programmable" automation system which
allowed me to arrange the "playlists" to be anywhere from entirely
predictable to pseudo-random (scrambled by the beat frequency between
various song lengths and the patchboard logic which decided with of 4
carousels of infinite loop 4-track tapes to play next.   In principle I
could set up an entire hour of auto-play of music, PSAs and
commercials.  This also felt like a "computer game" in it's own way.

One of my first assignments in my first "computer graphics" class was to
re-implement Lunar Lander on a Tektronix storage-screen (green-screen
etch-a-sketch) (circa 1978)...   vector refresh video games were already
common (asteroid and battlezone and a few others?)...

I find it very difficult to separate (predictive) simulation from video
games excepting the details of interface and seriousness of simulation
subject.