[FRIAM] AI art

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Jun 24 14:55:13 EDT 2024

I was struck recently by an article in *Harvard Magazine* by Harry
Lewis, a computer science professor and former dean of Harvard College.
In it, he says:

“The first error is suggesting that computers can be digitally trained
to be superior versions of human intellects. And the second is inferring
that human judgment will not be needed once computers get smart enough.

“Learning first. How do we become the people we are? Not by training a
blank slate with discrete experience data. Our brains start off prewired
to a significant if poorly understood degree. And then we learn from the
full range of human experience in all its serendipitous contingency. We
learn from the feel of an embrace and taste of ice cream, from battle
wounds and wedding ceremonies and athletic defeats, from bee stings and
dog licks, from watching sunsets and riding roller coasters and reading
Keats aloud and listening to Mozart alone. Trying to train a computer
about the meaning of love or grief is like trying to tell a stranger
about rock and roll.

“And not just from all these life experiences of our own but from the
experiences of all our cultural ancestors. Our teachers—all those from
whom we have learned, and those departed souls who taught our
teachers—have shaped all those experiences into a structure of life, a
system of values and ideals, a way in which we see and interpret the
world.”

Some friends from my college days have shared a quiz of mathematical
puzzles. I gave the quiz to Github Copilot, since that LLM seems well
versed in mathematics. The LLM aced it, and in addition, identified the
theorems that allowed it (him? her?) to solve the problems. This is
somewhat surprising given that LLMs have a hard time counting to four
(One reviewer asked ChatGPT 4o to come up with a four-syllable word
beginning with “w”. The answer it gave was “wonderful”.)

Concerning mathematics, my take on it currently that it can and does
master learning existing mathematics, and it conceivably can draw
analogies and make connections between the various fields of
mathematics, but I do not see that an LLM can create genuinely new
mathematics; I can’t see how an LLM trained in 1858 could possibly
state the Riemann Hypothesis, let alone prove it.

My current opinion is that if you think of mathematics as a bunch of
points in a high dimensional space, AI can fill in the spaces between
two of those points; i.e., it can find new results, but it cannot head
out beyond the existing points. In mathematical lingo, it can’t go
outside the convex hull of existing mathematics.

— Barry

PS
For renegade English majors, a convex set has the property that if any
two points are in the set, then all the points on the line connecting
them is also in the set. A ball is convex; a doughnut is not. The convex
hull of a set is the smallest convex set containing the original set.
The convex hull of the doughnut is what you get when you completely fill
in the hole.