[FRIAM] AI art

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 15:30:55 EDT 2024

Exactly. The (relatively) successful AIs also have 2 components to their lineage: structural and tuning. The self-attending transformer architecture is analogous to either our anatomy or the ontogeny of the anatomy from DNA - structural lineage. I'd argue it's more like the former. The analogy to cultural descent is more difficult to iron out. But we can imagine something like LoRA, where some of the weights are more stable than others during any given training period ... like trying to unlearn idiom or speak with a different accent might be more difficult than learning new facts or "theorems". Some of the weights are subject to more frequent tuning than others. Etc.

All we need to do is reverse engineer a DNA-like grammar from which to grow different architectures and we have something akin to biological evolution. Then develop a persistent MMO world allowing inter-player stigmergy and we have something akin to cultur[e|al evolution].

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ