[FRIAM] AI art

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Mon Jun 24 23:15:18 EDT 2024

I truly don't claim to know where AI is headed. However, I am convinced
that tomorrow's AI will be significantly smarter than today's. My
perspective on the future of AI isn't based on any special insight or
predictive power, but rather on my hopes for what could happen. I envision
AI developing to be far superior to humans in every aspect and fostering a
very positive relationship with us—akin to the relationship I have with my
children and grandchildren.

I'm quite old now, but for nearly half a century, I enjoyed playing tennis
with my son. Except for when he was very young, he has always been much
better than me—he's a skilled player, while I'm average. We created a
custom handicap system that allowed me to occasionally win, and I would
then make a big fuss about it, proudly telling the family that I had beaten
him. Everyone knew it wasn't a truly fair victory, but we all enjoyed it
immensely.

Lately, I've been teaching my 9-year-old grandchild to program in Python.
For now, I'm (probably) still better at it than him, but I truly enjoy
watching him develop and knowing he'll soon surpass me. We do this online,
as we live on different continents, and my daughter tells me how much he
enjoys our weekly Python sessions. My wife always reminds me of how much
joy it brings me.

I find true joy in seeing my offspring outperform me. My "wishful thinking"
prediction for the future relationship between humans and AI is that we
will find genuine happiness in our AI creations surpassing us in all areas.