[FRIAM] Ruidoso/Mescalero Fire relief

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jun 26 17:40:40 EDT 2024

As many of you are aware (especially locals and Jochen who mentioned
them recently), the Ruidoso/Mescalero area in NM has been burning down
over the last week, and now as the fire threat is subsiding, the rain
that is helping quell that is now yielding flood threats and damage.

    https://nmfireinfo.com/2024/06/

Simtable, as you can guess is all over helping them as their business
model dictates, including a trip down there soon to parlay recent
training/work they have been doing with NNMCC/El Rito young folks into a
live exercise with the EOC's down there which includes 2 Tables (Lincoln
county and ENMU?) on top of the 'normal' support they give to anyone in
these emergencies!

I am delivering my class A (bus style chassis) RV to a worthy recipient
down there and coordinating that effort with the EmergencyRV.org
<www.emergencyrv.org> folks who got started up during the Camp/Paradise
fires in 2018. They have apparently delivered about 165 units in that
time, not just to fire and not just California.  A recent notable effort
was to get 8? trailers shipped to Hawaii for first responder families
there who lost *their* homes.

Aside from such extravagant things as an RV or maybe a vehicle (many
folks lost vehicles) and obvious things like *cash*, and nearly useless
things (like used clothing and worn out household items), I see a need
for used but still viable electronic devices.  Most
obviously/specifically laptops and tablets... most folks fleeing a fire
or away from home cut off from home will have their mobile devices with
them.  I am throwing in a handful of deprecated (but still viable) power
banks and rechargable (NiCad) batteries/chargers (I've gone lithium).

I gave up *my* last excess Winderz Laptop a while back or I'd wipe it
and send it along.   I'm guessing there is a large appetite for such
items as people try to apply for FEMA and other resources, stand their
lives back up.  Anybody here with a spare viable laptop or tablet, I'd
be happy to include it in the delivery.

Also for FriAM locals, I don't know the right intermediaries but I
believe there will be a large demand for people able to temporarily
foster animals (domestic and farm)...  I know during the Los Alamos
fires and Post Katrina, that need drew out for years in some cases while
people got re-settled.