[FRIAM] the world is watching us...

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 28 18:05:30 EDT 2024

What are our Non-USA members hearing/thinking after last night's
debate/debacle?

I felt that Biden's Rally today was something necessary for him (and
Jill and the DNC) to do to demonstrate that last night was some kind of
anomaly, but it doesn't erase it, just cleanses the palate a little
bit.   I've also been listening to the various "who should the DNC pick
in his place?" talk which is 'natural' but maybe premature to do publicly?

I did listen to an European channel this morning (can't remember if it
was England or German, both have British accented commentators) and
there was a report of a strong "hands-off" response from their
leaders.   Moscow did pretty much exactly what you would expect... I
haven't heard anything from the Middle East, Africa, India, China,
Southeast Asia or South America yet, but I would expect the "free world"
to be disturbed no matter how things unfold down the line.

In the vernacular, I'd like to believe that we could "elect a ham
sandwich" against the likes of Trump, but that is obviously a biased
opinion... maybe we *should* but that isn't the same as *can*.

I don't see how the "West" benefits in any way from another Trump
term...   Russia, NK, China maybe?   BRICS in the large, maybe some kind
of wash?   Central/South/MX America?   Can't look too good?