[FRIAM] mental imagery

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Dec 2 14:02:35 EST 2025


Tx, I did read that article myself and it (also) whetted my appetite a 
bit for (yet more) abstractions about the emergence of systems, 
couplling and identity in that sense as well.
> Hi Steve,
>
> This was the Wikipedia link Glen had in this paragraph, in the same 
> post I replied to:
>
>> Changing gears a bit, I ran across the "as if" personality 
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_disturbance>. I can't help 
>> but wonder about a room full of agents "concealing their inner 
>> emptiness, living *as if* they had genuine feelings and desires." 
>> >8^D I'm at risk of Get-Off-My-Lawn, here. But 90% of the time, when 
>> I'm in a room with more than, say, 5 people, it *feels* to me like 
>> they're all philosophical zombies, maybe me included.
>>
> I don’t know more than whatever I might have learned to parrot from 
> reading that link….
>
> E
>
>
>
>> On Dec 2, 2025, at 12:35, Steve Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> wrote:
>>
>> EricS -
>>
>> I'd like to hear more on this tangent (identity-stability) in the 
>> broadest sense (my focus would be abstract markov blankets, active 
>> inferencing, "nearly decomposable systems") if possible.
>>
>> Not sure if the abstractions of emergent self-other can be reached 
>> from this discussion or not.
>>
>>> Back to Glen’s branch in the above thread, I could probably imagine 
>>> an analysis in which some of these distinctions do propagate up to 
>>> how identity is formed, and whether or in what ways it is stable or 
>>> unstable, as in borderline personality disorders and associated.  Or 
>>> maybe not, and the identity-stability question is a distinct matter (?).
>>>
>>> Anyway, thanks for patience or indulgence if anybody read this far,
>>>
>>> Eric
>>
>> .- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. 
>> --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
>> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
>> Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom 
>> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fvirtualfriam&c=E,1,614F30ECNYgyDc66kuLWhQykVSKqlBdNUOoZWy5-7iMCIrG33R64vRcENRBTDrmWIOc8DE2r1S-6TgF12lmWZXy3pRqEev506yKLAyGUeB7REPE,&typo=1
>> to (un)subscribe 
>> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&c=E,1,87BdRDyxUBMbz922eWPUV8xEHJdEHpEjrHdccHcZfkflLzh0iJ-Xhm5d4eBM9gt7sgX7Wr4k2-U3QLC8tELCQSK1ECYvVN7TKwBWEO1a&typo=1
>> FRIAM-COMIC 
>> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&c=E,1,RxFh6vgv4wXCMJY2z2iBbcD_h2m6y216qvI38gd7R_z57SPgOGxGUEs538tTLVc62yv73BvkqPofnQlQWzG0QAsHhtD4cGBveY7KvheNyYYa&typo=1
>> archives:  5/2017 thru present 
>> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,jsbHBWFZBXK9mCmUqALVK0J-fGtHzOJV67KWp25haLXO6dkx5wE9p0qIvPnR17b4SLvNpiVRgS3Oj9NQv3KIxDoiLAizGOx7jWl-Rlhy5Q,,&typo=1
>> 1/2003 thru 6/2021 http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
>
>
> .- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
> Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoomhttps://bit.ly/virtualfriam
> to (un)subscribehttp://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
> FRIAM-COMIChttp://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
> archives:  5/2017 thru presenthttps://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
>    1/2003 thru 6/2021http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/attachments/20251202/2cb9ade1/attachment.html>


More information about the Friam mailing list