[FRIAM] (no subject)

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Sep 10 18:57:06 EDT 2025


> https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=gross
>
> AKA great! 8^D

I knew the French /grosse douzaine /or dozen of dozen (sq in in a sq ft 
also) but not of the "gross hundreds" as 112 which seems to vaguely echo 
the "bakers dozen" of 13?  Anecdotally I've been told the 13>12 was to 
A) rule out being accused of "shorting" and/or one sacrificed to the 
person picking up.

When living in Berkeley, "the CoOp CheeseBoard" Pizza place had lines 
down the street at opening on Thurs/Fri evenings and as you made it to 
the order spot (I think there were like only 2 or 3 choices of topping 
and 1 size?) you could choose to have an extra slice in your hand to eat 
while you shuffled forward another dozen people to pick up your order, 
or you could elect to have them drop the extra slice into the top-box...

Marcus may queue up on Thurs/Friday night still?  I'm left wondering if 
the old (tiny by today's standards) firestation around the corner 
converted to a wine warehouse named the Vine Pump is still there?  The 
queue often started near there making it easy to grab a "tasting" before 
getting in line!  I'm no connoisseur but did pick up a few. cases of 
great tasting bargains over the year there most of which I gifted 
forward.   There had been a bumper year of grapes and it was not hard to 
pick up a decent case price of $144 or less <grin>.  Rumours some of the 
wines were deliberately down-labeled from well known/revered wines at 
many times the price?  Probably an Urban Legend.


> On 9/10/25 11:29 AM, Jon Zingale wrote:
>> This forum is gross.
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/attachments/20250910/ff3ad490/attachment.html>


More information about the Friam mailing list