[FRIAM] My New Results on Euler's Conjecture
Pieter Steenekamp
pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Sun Feb 8 06:13:20 EST 2026
Impressive work Roger!
On another note: I emailed you directly regarding your request for
challenging programming work.
On Fri, Feb 6, 2026, 9:37 PM Roger Frye <frye.roger at gmail.com> wrote:
> In 1988, Noam Elkies at Harvard and I collaborated on finding
> counter-examples to Euler’s 1769 conjecture about sums of 4th powers. He
> proved that there are an infinite number of counter-examples, and I used
> all of the Connection Machines at Thinking Machines to find the smallest.
>
> Since then, other researchers have used variations of my brute force
> technique and Elkies’ Elliptic Curve technique to extend the number of
> known solutions. As of yesterday, there were 93 solutions less than 1e27.
> Today I found 4 more with a newer Elliptic Curve technique.
>
> I published my result as a comment at Math StackExchange:
> https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/4857229/on-why-solutions-to-x4y4z4-1-come-in-pairs/5123321
> .
>
> The code I used is in my GitHub repository: https://github.com/rfryeSigma
> .
>
> -Roger
> p.s. I am looking for programming work. I specialize in Machine Learning
> and physics simulations, but I would be interested in anything challenging.
> .- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. /
> ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
> Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe / Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom
> https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
> to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
> FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
> archives: 5/2017 thru present
> https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
> 1/2003 thru 6/2021 http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/attachments/20260208/b36c4b60/attachment.html>
More information about the Friam
mailing list