[FRIAM] Santa Fe's Sugar Tax

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Apr 26 15:07:09 EDT 2017

Tom -

Sugar is the "fuel" for the symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast
(SCOBY) that metabolizes into mostly acetic acid (vinegar) and alcohol
with small residual amounts of sugar (if you stop the brew early).  The
macrobiotics are presumed to keep a healthy/happy gut flora/fauna and
keep the immune system stimulated.

My experience with my own brew so far is that pure (cane) sugar is
preferred because it is most predictable...  I think honey and fruit
juices are *least* preferred because of the unpredictability (from other
yeast/bacteria contamination).   I haven't really experimented with my
brewing methods enough to know.  Many choose to add Ginger, Honey, Fruit
Juice *after* the brew for enhanced flavor.  I prefer mine straight up,
it isn't a bad beer (sans significant alcohol) for me.

Stevia (as you probably know) is just a hyper-sweet substance that fools
the taste-buds but not the metabolism of humans nor SCOBYs.

Meanwhile...   I applaud your trying to help groom the legislative and
public discourse properties of our fine city as I do those who are
trying to groom the social/consumerist culture away from obviously
harmful things like high-sugar drinks and foodstuffs.

- Steve
-