[FRIAM] What does it mean to say that it will probably rain tomorrow?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 11 13:36:00 EST 2017

Hi, Eric

Your blog ends by saying that we predict probabilities, not events.  It would seem a further de-mystification of the idea of probability to say that we predict relative frequencies of future events, not probabilities.  I.e., a probability is just (≡) a prediction concerning an unknown relative frequency.  The probability is not what we predict.  It is the prediction.

By the way, that blog must have been a great teaching tool, when you were still teaching.  Much better than office hours because it forces students to formulate questions in writing.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/