[FRIAM] What does it mean to say that it will probably rain tomorrow?

Shawn Barr sbarr2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:23:24 EST 2017

Hi Nick,

In an effort to diaspeirein(?), let me offer the following:

According to the axioms of probability (maybe you heard this already on
Friday), saying that something has a probability of 1 (or .5) doesn't mean
that it will happen (or happen half of the time); it just means that the
probability of something not happening is 0 (or .5).

In terms of a weather forecast, (which I assume might be what you were
getting at,) saying that there is a 50 percent chance of rain tomorrow
could mean something like, conditioned on the present, rain happened 50
percent of the time in the past.  Assume that the future and past are
conditionally independent given the present and expect a 50 percent chance
of rain tomorrow.  Or maybe that's not not a not (?) sensible expectation?

Best,
Shawn