[FRIAM] sometimes an onion is just an onion...

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 12 13:01:10 EDT 2017

Glen -

I always appreciate your corrections.  You are naturally the only one
who really knows what you meant when you brought it up.  I thought I
remembered that you invoked the onion and it's layers to try to explain
your distinction between levels and layers and the utility of the same
in the discussion of Complexity Science.

I know how to slice onions with a knife, I've even been known to crush
small ones like a garlic clove,  and have even run them through a
blender for various culinary purposes, but in this discussion, I can't
think why we would have been talking about an onion if not as the source
domain for a metaphor.   Why were we talking about an onion?  I remember
a discursion into or near the embryological implications of how onions
form their layers?

- Steve