[FRIAM] Get ready for Blockchain

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:51:27 EDT 2017

Well sure, TANSTAAFL.  But, especially given Owen's (and apparently Stephen's) loaded question "What is complexity?", to write it all off as "tools don't imply political motives" is, itself, a loaded answer.  We have overwhelming evidence that complexity is bound up with robustness through mechanisms for phenomena like scale-free, fractal, far from equilibrium, etc.  And that clearly implies that an earnest application of a tool (from hammers to blockchains), one that actually tries to solve problems rather than extract wealth for a sub-group, should make an attempt to reify those phenomena.

So, as I suggested in the exploit post: "get ready for blockchain" also means "get ready for exploitative tactics with and around blockchain tech."  That article Tom posted focused exclusively on the happy-go-lucky, hyperbolic, utopian dream, ignoring the nightmare that lurks beneath.

--
☣ glen