[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri May 26 10:54:31 EDT 2017

Stephen writes:

“Three most used non-biological examples I've seen are:

  *   ferromagnetism (described with ising model)
[..]
The Ising model is just a model, however.  Even though an Ising system can encode functions, I don’t think that arbitrary functions are found in nature.  As a ridiculous example, show me a division function that occurs as a metastable crystal in the wild.  There are some Ising model instances that would be irregular arrangements of atoms and maybe even impossible to form without an apparatus.
Marcus