[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat May 27 21:54:21 EDT 2017

In a simple Ising model example, the quadratic terms can be thought of as edges in an undirected graph.  Depending on which J values are zero, there can one phase space or many independent phase spaces depending on how many disconnected components there are.

A real material would be subject to environmental magnetic fields and would also require a more complicated energy function with terms for other axes.  The environmental fields and/or more complex spins change the probability of finding various ground states even if they are members of disconnected components in the simple formulation.  So it also depends on the fidelity of the modeling as to whether systems are decomposable into subsystems or not.