[FRIAM] Abduction

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 21 15:38:04 EST 2018

Nick,

Alas, I was not present to hear the inchoate discussion. Please allow
me to do some deconstruction and speculation on what you might be
asking about.
Imagine a vertical line and assume, metaphorically, that this is a
'membrane' consisting of tiny devices that emit signals (electrical
impulses) into that which we presume to be 'inside that membrane'. I am
trying to abstract the common sense notion of an individual's 5 senses
generating signals that go to the brain — without making too many
assumptions about the signal generators and or the recipient of same.
We tend to assume that the signal generators are not just randomly
sending off signals. Instead we assume that somewhere on the left side
of the line is a source of stimuli, each of which triggers a discrete
signal generator which we rename as a sensor.
First question: do you assume / assert / argue that the "source" of each
stimulus (e.g. the Sun) and the means of conveying the stimulus (e.g. a
Photon) are "Real?"
Signals are generated at the membrane and sent off somewhere towards
the right.
Second question: do you assume a receiver of those signals, e.g. a
'brain-body', and do you assume / argue / assert that the receiving
entity is "Real."
If a signal is received by a brain-body and it reacts, e.g. a muscle
contraction; there are least two possible assumptions you can make:
   -  some sort of 'hard wiring' exists that routes the signal to a set
      of muscle cells which contract; and nothing has happened except
      the completion of a circuit. Or,   -  the signal is "interpreted" in some fashion and the response to it
      is at least quasi-voluntary. (Yogis and fakirs have demonstrated
      that very little of what most of us would assume to be involuntary
      reactions, are, in fact, beyond conscious control.)
Third question: are both the 'interpretation' and the 'response'
Real things?
Depending on your answers, we might have a model of interacting "Real"
things: Source, Stimulus, Membrane, Signal, Interpretation, and
Response. Or, you might still wish to assert that all of these are
"abstractions," but if so, I really do not understand at all what you
would mean by the term.
But, you are an amenable chap and might assent to considering these
things "Real" in some sense, so we can proceed.
The next step would be to question the existence of some entity
receiving the signals, effecting the interpretation, and instigating the
response. Let's call it a Mind or Consciousness. [Please keep the
frustrated screaming to a minimum.]
It seems to me that this step is necessary, as it is only "inside" the
mind that we encounter abstractions. The abstractions might be unvoiced
behaviors — interpretations of an aggregate of stimuli as a "pattern"
with a reflexive response, both of which were non-consciously learned,
e.g. 'flight or fight'.  Or, they might be basic naming; simple
assertions using the verb to-be; or complicated and convoluted
constructs resulting from judicious, or egregious, application of
induction, deduction, and abduction.
Fourth question: are these in-the-mind abstractions "Real?"

At the core, your question seems to be an ontological / metaphysical
one. Are there two kinds of Thing: Real and Abstract? If so what
criteria is used to define membership in the two sets? It seems like
your anti-dualism is leading you to assert that there are not two sets,
but one and that membership in that set is defined by some
criteria/characteristic of 'abstract-ness'.
Please correct my failings at discerning the true nature of your
question.
dave west