[FRIAM] An Overview of Dark Matter – Sasha Manu – Medium

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Thu Dec 27 16:36:28 EST 2018

My exposure to the term "ontology" was primarily through work on the
overhyped "semantic web" popularized a decade or so ago. As I see it, this
use of the term refers to a means for specifying a distributed schema for
data description, using logic constructs. Early work sponsored by DARPA
resulted in DAML/OIL, which was eventually supplanted by OWL, an effort
supported by W3C. I must admit I drank a fair amount of the semantic web
Kool-Aid in the 2000s at NCGR (it was the most flavorful Kool-Aid available
in Santa Fe when I was looking for a job after the Complexity flavor sort
of ran dry). I had also drank a fair amount of AI Kool-Aid in the 1980s
until that flavor froze in the AI winter. Now, a decade later, I think the
semantic web hype has pretty much died out - I was just reading "Whatever
happened to the semantic web" (
https://twobithistory.org/2018/05/27/semantic-web.html). I find it
interesting that AI (in name, anyway) is making another resurgence. Enough
rambling...