[FRIAM] Abduction

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 27 19:26:19 EST 2018

"Trump supporters are not individualists, they are just people trying to
recover privilege they *didn’t earn *and now see slipping away"
Three brief comments:

  1- Refusal to "know your enemy" and insistence on erroneous straw man
  characterizations of that enemy is exactly what will allow Trump to be
  re-elected.
  2- Individualism is about responsibility - not ego, not 'privilege' -
  and includes a deeply felt responsibility to aid others who's
  circumstances mandate such aid. Questioning the means of providing
  that aid is not an argument against providing it. (Same thing is true
  of climate change - for the majority, not the straw man
  characterization - it is not a question of science, but of means for
  rectification.)
  3- The most blatant assertion of privilege that I see on this list is
  the privilege given to "Science." While I am certain that individuals
  among you have earned your position to speak about, and assert the
  privilege of, "Science," the subject itself has not demonstrated that
  it has "earned" its insistence on denying all other avenues to
  knowledge and understanding as 'erroneous', emotional (emphasis on the
  sexism here), irrational, or simply wrong. (The assertion of privilege
  for "liberal" viewpoints comes a very close second.)
davew