[FRIAM] is this true?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Mar 8 13:34:29 EST 2019

Glen -

Another interesting question to speculate around (as usual)!

On the face of it, the question of whether there are brain changes in
response to therapy or pharmaceuticals, would seem to be very trite or
another form of the mind/body (mind/brain) question.  My trite answer to
the implied trite question would be a simple "yes".

I think you are asking something more sophisticated though?   If we
believe that there are *some* kinds of changes to the brain (such as
Dave's examples below) when we "change our minds" or "see things
differently" then in fact there is a "plastic" change which persists
past the direct effect of the drugs or the therapy session.

I think you are asking *what* the specific brain changes are that might
be effected through A) Therapy and B) Antidepressants/???  and C) a)
supported/enhanced/accelerated by b).

I have no personal experience with B (excepting of course, the
self-medication with alcohol, fats, carbs and mood-alterations that come
with their timely application).  The experiences I have with A) ranging
from a good bartender to a good life-partner to a good friend to a
licensed therapist, suggest that significant changes *can* be made.

Those made with a "casual" conversational partner under the influence of
alcohol tend to be a lot more elastic.   I've never worked as a
bartender but can imagine how much mood-swinging, life-change-claiming
experiences they observe in their customers.   I've observed angry as
well as sloppy drunks who seem to resolve their angst while "under the
influence" only to return to roughly the same position with their angst
the next day/weekend and go through the same alcohol/rant/rave induced
denoument over (and over and over).  From what I've observed (less
frequently) pot smokers, binge-eaters, binge-shoppers and gamblers go
through a similar cycle.

if/since the goal is often to effect more plastic change, then it is
natural to seek mechanisms that support that.   I personally have tried
some therapy and had mixed results.  I wasn't specifically seeking
relief from depression as such, but depression was surely part of the
complex of symptoms I was feeling.  I was seeking to make some "changes
in perspective" which I hoped would lower the cognitive/emotional burden
I was feeling from navigating my life as it was structured.   I was
stuck in not wanting to change the structure of my life, finding aspects
of it hard/tiring/confronting to endure, and wanting to "adjust my
attitude" to fit my circumstances "more better".   Of course, the net
result included recognizing that *some* of the aspects of my life *would
change* as I changed my attitude toward them.   This included primary
and secondary relationships, and work/career as well as my relationship
with the larger social sphere as I apprehend it.

Both therapists asked me  when I interviewed them if I was seeking
anti-depressant medication.   I didn't know if that was A) them
observing/diagnosing me as "depressed" on first meeting; B) vetting me
for someone who also needed a consult with a licensed psychiatrist who
could make such prescriptions; C) doing triage to see if my
self-proclaimed reasons (which didn't include acknowledging depression)
for seeking therapy were misleading (in that specific way); D) vetting
me for someone who was seeking a "quick fix".

The second therapist DID offer and provide me with some EMDR treatment
(eye movement desensitization and reprocessing).  I was skeptical, but
approached it as a mild form of hypnosis.   She was relatively new to
the method and I was also perhaps "indulging her" in getting some
practice while I got to experiment with whether such things *could* have
an effect.   My (very subjective) answer was that it could absolutely be
effective.   When it worked, I swear I felt an immediate (and mostly
plastic) shift in my larger mental state.  It seemed to work as
advertised in breaking some kinds of persistent beliefs I held about
myself or the world.   One important caveat that is fundamental to the
psychotheraputic model... it only worked when I really wanted it to.
The trick (not unlike some of my recent rants here about "asking the
right question") seemed to be to frame the problem/question/belief at
hand properly before we could actually effectively make any headway.
We often spent an entire session trying to agree on what the underlying
"belief" I wanted/need to change *was* and then do the actual EMDR
(including some pre and post analysis) in a subsequent session.  My
therapist seemed a little frustrated at how much time/energy we expended
narrowing it all down to "the right question" and we agreed this was at
least *partly* a consequence of me living so strongly (belligerently?)
in my head.   I think she also *learned* from my example that "getting
the question right" was key.    It felt to me that the few successful
EMDR sessions we had (small handful) DID help to unkink some of my
deeper beliefs and I DID obtain some immediate and persistent relief in
my life from it.  It may also be the case that since I wasn't seeking
relief from any specific identifiable events or circumstances, that EMDR
wasn't the perfect fit.

I brought up EMDR because I felt that it's mechanism (which is a little
under-understood I think) may not be that dissimilar to conventional
anti-depressant or complementarily? microdosing of psi drugs in that it
helped me get *past* the built-in (ego?) defenses that were holding
various beliefs in a sacred place.   From what I hear with conventional
anti-depressants, they can relieve the psychic anxiety or increase the
energy to a level that allows the individual to proceed to change habits
which they might otherwise be unable to due to under/overproduction of
neurochemistry.   I would suggest that the anti-depressant mechanisms
change the *dynamics* of the brain which *allows* the function to shift
enough that the *structure* can become changed through some amount of
repetition (shift in habits of being/thinking) which would reflect the
"change to the brain" you are suggesting.   I assume the same thing
(through different mechanisms?) applies to psi microdosing.   Instead of
adjusting the *gross* or *familiar* neurochemistry, they tweak more
subtle (or lesser known?) mechanisms which allow for/induce behavioral
(thought as well as activity) changes in a way that can lead to the
brain-function/structure changes you are suggesting.

On reflection, the EMDR experience I had *felt* like something shifted
physically/biochemically very abruptly and plasticly.  I don't remember
ever feeling like the beliefs I had "changed" were at risk of
reverting.  In that way it felt like I'd achieved a /denoument/ of some
kind which I suppose doesn't have to represent significant physical
changes?

Mumble,

 - Steve