[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Nov 7 14:21:56 EST 2019

The article below aligns with my experience as a child in rural America, and I'm reminded of it every time I visit my parent's hometown.   There is an active spirit of dereliction, in fact -- the Glenn Beck's as in the original article.  Not even from the majority, but enough that it keeps going.   People that try to fix it (people I know) are often punished.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/04/opinion/sunday/trump-arkansas.html

Sometimes I think the best thing to do is to continue to drain these towns of their smart people, move the bulk of taxation to state and municipal governments, and then let them have it their way with no medical care,  no schools, no roads, and no law enforcement.

Marcus

On 11/7/19, 10:47 AM, "Friam on behalf of uǝlƃ ☣" <friam-bounces at redfish.com on behalf of gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

    On 11/7/19 10:22 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
    > I think we (>= GenX) aren't getting the message.   The subtext is "How is it you morons didn't figure this out?"

    I agree. But I think I would go further, as Greta Thunberg has and assert that it's not just a matter of not figuring it out. It's a matter of dereliction of duty. We have a duty to build the commons so that our descendants will be more and more entitled. Entitled to see live polar bears, breathe clean air, eat avocado toast, devote their lives to creativity rather than wage slavery, etc.

    --
    ☣ uǝlƃ