[FRIAM] Setting up a new PC

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Fri Nov 8 16:33:11 EST 2019

On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 01:20:31PM -0700, Nick Thompson wrote:
> Kindly FRIAMers,
>

> Do you have any advice to give, or a website to suggest, that will help me
> decide how to set up the computer I just bought.  I back up the old computer to
> a hard drive every night, and I had always thought to transfer the data to the
> new one by restoring the backup file to the new computer. But I assume there is
> a LOT of crap in there I don’t want.  SOMEBODY must have thought about this
> issue and written something avuncular for people like me.

I always restore from backup, or from the original drive if it is
still working.  Getting rid of crap is a different task, requiring
dedication and thought about what you do or don't need. I usually do
that either when slightly bored, or when my disk is full and I'm
desparate for space.

Cheers

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au