[FRIAM] Unmediated perception - sheldrake

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 17:52:39 EDT 2019

But, of course, the benefit of finding hard-to-detect corners to cut, accompanied (or not) by complicated, convincing rhetoric, is *scaffolding* ... aka the convexity of the search space. It may not be so easy for, say, pre-language humanity to understand (eg) transistors unless they've gone through all the twisty little rhetorical paths we've taken. And, if they can't understand it, then they can't build devices that exploit it.

So, some parts of the search space *are* convex, i.e. complicated rhetoric turns out to be unnecessary. But other parts *might* be convoluted and require all the cumulative mental gymnastics facilitated by rhetoric. The trick is that many/most of us can't *tell* whether we're on a necessary or unnecessary path, in a convex or convoluted region of the space. Even if I suspect what I'm doing is useless busy-ness, it's still difficult to be sure enough to abandon that path.

--
☣ uǝlƃ