[FRIAM] Illegal copies of your book

Sarbajit Roy sroy.mb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 12:20:52 EDT 2020

Dear Gillian

It's not an unpopular opinion at all.

The High Court at New Delhi, India considered these issues and said it's
perfectly legal for a teacher to PHOTOCOPY or REPRODUCE chapters of
over-priced/unaffordable/expensive foreign textbooks for the benefit of
their students, AND that no royalty is to be paid to the book publishers.
The exceptionally well reasoned decision was upheld by the Supreme Court of
India after the book publishers withdrew their appeals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rameshwari_Photocopy_Service_shop_copyright_case

So if you know anybody needing photocopies (2 cents per page of expensive
books accessible to our vast library of PDFs and DJVUs, I would be happy to
have them as my student ;-)

Sarbajit Roy
New Delhi, India