[FRIAM] square land math question

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jul 23 18:40:07 EDT 2020

<tangent>

I have 8 chickens in my courtyard which is roughly 10.5x10.5 meters
(varas since this landscape was first surveyed by the Spanish).   Once I
showed them (when we first released them) that the grass in a .5x.5
meter (vara) square was tasty they proceeded to mow the entire 10.5x10.5
yard down nicely.   I don't know if this qualifies since the remaining
~400 squares of grass were not identical (mathematically) to the one I
introduced them to, but from my idiosyncratic point of view, I had
"mowed" the whole lawn by showing the chickens the one square?

Of course, the chickens didn't need showing and would have figured it
out for themselves (as they figured out how tasty virtually everything
in my gardens were too), and they left the longer, tougher grass-stems,
moving their focus to any and all tender shoots the grass root-clumps
decide to splurt out every day.

Have we agreed on what a "square" is and by whose "authority" we declare
that we are talking about the same description?  I don't think that nit
has been picked over yet.    And are we doing it in Cartesian or
spherical or ellipsoidal coordinates?   I'm not sure if there is a
conventional "ovoid <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss%27s_Egg>"
coordinate system but my guess is that the chicken's would prefer
those.   And I don't think these chickens care for analytic or
computational paradigms, they just want to eat, play grab-ass with the
squirrels and jays invading their territory and lay single cells the
size of a chicken-egg for me to steal and treat as my personal property
to consume, sell, trade or gift.   I should have gone for the golden (or
palladium) chickens instead methinks...

If we can't even square a square, how can we expect to square a circle,
or more interestingly tessellate a sphere uniformly?   Let's change the
value of Pi to 3.0 and deal with the resulting distortion of space later.

</tangent>

Carry On,

  - Sieze