[FRIAM] Outbreak Simulation

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Mar 21 11:47:56 EDT 2020

While I'm sympathetic with the idea that the relative magnitude of this
threat *might* be on the same order as "hit by a car", and that to the
extent that panic behaviour has it's own risks and unintended
consequences, I think  there is a qualitative issue at hand as well.

It is as if the number of cars on the road just doubled and some of the
drivers come from the UK right-hand-driving sphere such that while the
risk of death has only roughly *doubled*, our instincts are not tuned to
where to look (left/right) when we step out into the street.  Our
intuitions just aren't well tuned to this.

Unfortunately, quantitative numbers are exponential not linear, so even
if you could compare it to "hit by a car",  it doesn't calibrate for
crazy fluctuations in traffic.   Like being the Frog in Frogger right
after a level-up.

This just out from James Tamplin (founder of Firebase), providing a
slightly finer grain model to refer to and build
from:https://covidactnow.org/ .  <https://covidactnow.org/>It is
worthwhile to read the assumptions that this model uses.  It is all
transparent and implemented as spreadsheets that can be downloaded and
tweaked if you choose.   It is strictly statistical and aggregated at
the State level, but does not take into account variations in population
density and personal encounters (this is a case where the style of
mixing implied by suburban car-culture may be a lot safer than urban
pedestrian-culture).

Mary and I have had to calibrate our sensitivity to risk several times
during this episode.

 1. We were on our way to a long overdue visit to my mother (91) in her
    assisted living where most everyone else there is older and more
    at-risk even than she is.   Her TV has only one channel (Fox) and
    she was reluctant (2 weeks ago) to believe that my daughter in
    Portland with an 18 month old she hasn't met yet, really shouldn't
    risk gathering virus particles through 3 airports and 2 planes to
    visit her.    After they waved off, we planned to come ahead as a
    consolation prize, as did my other daughter and her 8 year old (we
    were both driving, avoiding high-risk virus-gathering
    opportunities).   Even though we were already on the road when
    things really started looking bad (over a week ago), I was pretty
    sure we shouldn't even risk *our* bringing her anything from here or
    our travels, but was reluctant to tell her that yet.  2 days in my
    daughter was leaving Denver with two kids promised a Spring Break
    and we negotiated a back-country tour of the 4 corners area, meeting
    up with them, and not risk delivering virus particles to their
    great/grandmother and her friends.
 2. After listening to towns, counties, parks, states shut their doors
    on our heels as we traveled through, we were feeling a little
    "guilty" by the time we arrived back on our fairly isolated
    home(stead) 20 minutes outside of Santa Fe.   Our normal life
    involves at most 3 trips to *some* town, and even then very limited
    interaction with others usually.  Dropping back to 1 very careful
    grocery run a week is not that big of a step for us.
 3. We now have other semi-rural friends/neighbors trying to negotiate
    visits with us which we are trying to sort through.   In our early
    60s, we are marginally at higher risk than many, but most of those
    friends/neighbors include at least 1 member in their late 70s or
    even 80s.   Their level of self-concern varies wildly from radical
    germophobe to devil-may-care libertarians.    I could mix with any
    *one* of these sub-cliques comfortably if I didn't feel like I was
    risking cross-contamination between them.    The highest-risk-taking
    groups aren't too high-risk for us, nor are the lowest-risk-takers
    too low, but I"m unwilling to accidentally bridge the two.
 4. Our 5 (collectively) adult children have roughly 5 different
    circumstances and sensibilities about this pandemic.  One is a
    virologist who is already engaged in working directly on the
    problem.  Two others are owners of small businesses which are direct
    personal service (crossfit gym and art framing-shop) and one is a
    child social worker who supervises dozens of people whose everyday
    job is to do home visits with families in crisis... this quarantine
    situation puts some of those families at yet higher risk in several
    ways.   The fifth just got the diagnosis (this week) that his wife
    very likely has a cancer that will need/deserve surgery AND
    chemo/rad ASAP.      Juggling our advice/support across this
    diversity is a challenge, though a tiny fraction I think of what
    *many* have to face.
 5. Mary is intrinsically more concerned about her personal health than
    I tend to be (about my own) which means she is moderately more
    healthy but at the same time more fragile in her concerns.   She
    took two weeks to recover from a COVID_like flu with bacterial
    (sinus) complications just a month ago... had that hit a week or two
    later, we would have had to respond *as-if* it were COVID19.   She
    did give over to a doc visit who threw antibiotics at her, and the
    secondary sinus (with fever) cleared up in days.   I have no idea
    how that would have unfolded under the current shadows.
 6. I just glanced through Barry's post just now and was reminded of the
    issue of Asymptomatic transmission vs what I prefer to think of as
    Presymptomatic.   Presymptomatic includes some coughing and sneezing
    that you don't attribute to an illness (yet)...  if you are an
    annual allergy sufferer, for example, it could be easy to assume the
    increased sneezing is an allergy (and it might be!) right up until
    you get hit with a fever or discover someone in your social network
    is symptomatic/positive.

Blah blah,

 - Steve