[FRIAM] Papers on asymptomatic transmission and serology

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Mar 21 13:09:16 EDT 2020

Barry -

Really great writeup from your daughter in Wellington.   It reinforces
and adds well to what I've been hearing from my own daughter (Molecular
Biologist in FlaviVirus lab at OHSU in Oregon) who have actually run PCR
based tests using the WHO information on themselves (a dozen or so
scientists/techs) as preparation for possibly participating in the
testing with their own gear.

Joanna's clarification on the likely problem with the "failed" test kits
was useful in particular.

The talk about asymptomatic transmission is central to my own personal
thinking and the models we are assuming in the SimTable work in-progress
that Stephen described yesterday.   It doesn't do as much good to only
build contact graphs with people who are already diagnosed (or
self-diagnosed via symptoms) as it does to have location/contact
information for the pre-symptomatic as well as (fully?) a-symptomatic.

I am also wondering what others are hearing about (or better have
references to) the possibility of COVID19 survivors antibodies being a
resource for transmitted (via transfusion?) immunity.   Something to
recruit all those "irresponsible youth" for... as I said on the call
yesterday "pay them to stay on the beach in drunken revelry another
month until they all pass it around and recover"   and THEN impress
(persuasively not conscriptively) them into providing serum to their
grandparents instead of having them return from Spring break to closed
schools and moving in with their grandparents, accidentally killing them
in the process <satire>.

How, by the way, is NZ doing with this themselves?  I always think of
them as a sort of safe-haven being as relatively isolated as they are
yet with an anglophone first-world embedding.

- Steve