[FRIAM] ill-conceived question

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat May 2 22:00:25 EDT 2020

Dave -

> I once taught an honors course, with Father Smith at St. Thomas on the
> Anthropology and Theology of War. One of the prime forces behind war —
> since prehistory — had been nothing more than birth control.

Do you meant literally *birth* and *control*, or rather *population* and
*reduction*?

The more literal usage works well too.  Controlling Births.  I think
much warfare culminates (or did before modernish times) in the victors
killing the men and raping/impregnating and enslaving the women either
in-place, inhabiting the conquered lands or taking them back to their
homeland.  Children alternatively would have been killed or enslaved.
Thus the genetic heritage of Genghis Khan...

One step more sophisticated than the rats?

I don't think we have to go there, no matter how much the gun hoarders
want their chance at being unequivocally "on top" at least for one round
of the grande iterated prisoner's dilemma that is human civilization.

- Steve