[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue May 5 13:38:43 EDT 2020

behavior:

1) the way in which one acts or conducts oneself, especially toward others
2) the way in which an animal or person acts in response to a particular situation or stimulus.
3) the way in which a natural phenomenon or a machine works or functions

Ignoring the first definition, is there a qualitative difference between the behavior attributed to a human being or animal and that attributed to the machine or natural phenomena? I believe there is.

Machine "behavior" is either a metaphor or an error of anthropomorphism. This is true, I believe, whether one speaks of a computer's UI (the computer is but a lump and sans any behavior) or a robot.

Alan Kay and Seymour Papert speak of the "user illusion" — the illusion that the computer is thinking or behaving or acting as if it were intelligent, a turtle dragging its tail to draw a line, etc. The key word is "illusion." Papert, incidentally was a student and protege of Jean Piaget, a psychologist.

This does not advance an argument against the possibility of a computer thinking — merely an assertion that "behavior" is not a valid basis upon which to argue that they do.

davew