[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue May 5 18:13:03 EDT 2020

On 5/5/20 3:04 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> Dammit, Nick.  I can and frequently do spend hours planning,
> remembering, composing emails, fantasizing about my next car, etc
> without exhibiting any remarkable behavior beyond eyeblinking,
> touching my face (don't!), crossing and uncrossing my legs.  We've
> been through this before but  what is my latest plan about what to do
> when my auto lease is up?  No one knows but me despite your claim that
> I don't have private access to these kinds of things.

And following (weakly I am sure) Glen's reference to "holographically",
I believe that if we record/observe *all* of your behaviour down to the
minutest detail, we can learn a LOT about that inner state.    If we had
that data from the *last* time you approached buying a new car (maybe
years out) we might recognize the specific patterns of leg-crossing and
eye-blinking and chair-leaning that go with fantasizing about that
muscle-car inspired anti-proton powered 6 wheel-drive hub-motor flying
car you have been jonesing on!

I'm somewhat with Glen (as I understand him in this conversation) on the
ideation that inner and outer is somewhat mutable.    Sometimes the
6-rotor flying drone-car I fantasize (and blame on Frank) flitting
around in is *part of* *me* and other times it is what I interface *to*
and *it* interfaces (mostly) to the air (and sometimes to the water, the
ground, and unfortunately a tall tree here and there).    When I am
composing a message *to* this august body named FriAM, I often think of
youse alls as "external" to me, but if I'm talking to one of the
philistines in my life who do NOT spend all their time talking/thinking
about these kinds of things (whatever these kinds are), I sometimes
think of myself as being *of* "the FriAM" rather than "in the FriAM" (or
is that FriAM pan?).