[FRIAM] What Is the Real Coronavirus Toll in Each State? - The New York Times

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:08:29 EDT 2020

Roger, Glen,  Steve

Sorry.  Not one of my better posts.  I certainly didn’t mean to imply that anybody was doing fine.  I guess I began to worry that deaths in those more rural states were being masked by the fact that people were staying away from hospitals, but that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.  I will try to wake up more before I post, in future.

I valued Steve’s reflections on death in small rural communities.  The town where I raised my family was such a community.   Some times a year, weeks would go by between any opportunities to share information.  If somebody died in mid summer or in mid winter, it might be a month or so before I would learn it.   So, paradoxical as it might seem, I can imagine that the same rate of death might have more impact in a larger community than in a smaller one.

I do miss that national map of case doubling time by county.  By comparing it, day by day, I got a real sense of “what was happening.”  If anybody happens on that again, please let me know.  It would, I think, confirm Roger’s Observation.

Glen, those Hall/King comparisons are pretty dramatic.  Go Kemp! What is the population of the two counties?

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/