[FRIAM] PSC Tornado Visualization (2008) [720p] - YouTube

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu May 14 08:28:45 EDT 2020

On 5/13/20 9:52 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

> Experiment with a modern implementation of generative adversarial
> networks for a while and I think you’ll begin to feel less smug about
> the superiority of first principles – sort of like a craft of Colonial
> Williamsburg.    Computer, just get me the equations and spare the drama.

My mother was the source (vehicle) of many aphorisms, some of which I
found particularly maddening.

    "If you can't tell (the difference), it doesn't matter!"

was perhaps the most notable and I suppose an archetypal example of
vernacular pragmatism (Nick).

I *think* this discussion (or this subthread) has devolved to suggesting
that predictive power is the only use of modeling (and simulation)
whilst explanatory power is not (it is just drama?).

It is not my feeling or experience or intuition that the explanatory
power (illusion) of deriving things from first principles is unimportant
or irrelevant, but I don't know that I have anything but "a strong
feeling" to back that up.   When I went to college I had a modestly
broad command of math and basic science which I found very satisfying as
a basis for (thinking I did) understand a lot about the world as it
unfolded around me (dust-devils, thunderstorms, motorcycle accidents,
auto mechanics, mechanical constructions) but as I learned calculus, I
somehow felt like I'd been handed a whole new toolkit... a way to peel
back the covers from the myriad equations that had been handed to me
with no real explanatory power.

Having the equations of motion had seemed like "enough" until I began to
explore their derivations.   Most of my peers were in engineering and
while they also were learning calculus, they did not seem to have the
same fascination... they were much less interested (in my apprehension)
in "understanding things" than they were "predicting things" and even
prediction was in service to the utility of "building a thing".   In
physics, each layer of more fundamental theory, no matter how hard or
obscure it was, was very satisfying.  Again, my engineering peers were
puzzled by why I would care about relativity or quantum mechanics when
they saw so little (if any) application for it.  Of course today, nearly
50 years later, the applications are pervasive in the more advanced
engineering applications  (electrooptics, materials science, etc.)

I'll be interested to see how (if?) this distinction unfolds with others
here.   Maybe my mother was right "if you can't tell the difference, it
doesn't matter".

- Steve