[FRIAM] "higher" education

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri May 29 18:51:28 EDT 2020

My daughter  chose (with my strong advice) to get her undergrad from
UCSC instead of UCB (accepted but the academic scholarships she was
offered would have left her with a $50K debt after 4 years).   She was
shooting for an MD at that point, and entering Med School with that kind
of debt seemed ridiculous...  she ended up doing a PhD at UNM (Molecular
Bio) with a fully funded GRA position instead of UCB (where she would
have incurred similar debts in SPITE of a GRA offer there also).  She
went into the workforce with $0 student debt very intentionally.

She feels as well prepared as any of her peers (and more dedicated than
many) in her field (virology, flavi-virus specialty), yet feels mildly
excluded from some circles of IVY or neoIVY or ??? similarly elite
school alumni.   There is a good-ole-boys-and-girls club in her world
(or her apprehension of her world) which has her being treated as "less
than".

Maybe this isn't real, or it is latent.   But she lives it viscerally,
especially during funding cycles.