[FRIAM] Freudian Wish Correspondence

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 16:11:51 EDT 2020

Dear Phellow Phriammers,

EricC has demanded to know why I have not pitched into the discussion of
Hazard-learning and Development.  Mostly, I am 82 and I just cannot keep up
with you guys.  Do any of the rest of you know what its like to fall behind
in a friam conversation??!! It's like climbing a hill of ball bearings.

I am fighting the urge to justify my negligence.  The discussion does seem
to verge on a bicker amongst the Libertarian Faithful -- the kind of
argument which would go better if we had all read Vygotsky (which I have
not).  I will say that Vygotsky is the origin of the notion of "scaffolding"
by adults.  The Good Mother's behavior toward the child and the flame just
seems like a perfect example of scaffolding, where one set's up the
conditions for safe learning and then gets the hell out of the way.   I can
see why Eric, who is on the point of raising two teenagers, might have this
issue in mind.  I less understand where Glen is coming from.

But setting aside my anti-libertarian bias, it seems an interesting and
useful conversation, to which I, for once, blessedly, do not have anything
to contribute but a rectified transcript of the conversation so far.

I have added this note to the bottom of it.  Why don't you all do the same?

Let the conversation continue!

Nick